Thursday 26 July 2012


Wondering……….

A few months ago I made a pennant as part of the Cultural Olympiad organised through Quilts 4 London. As the Olympic opening ceremony approaches I have been thinking where my pennant is now and to whom my pennant now belongs.
The Quilts4London Project started in June 2009 with an idea to produce something as a gift for all the athletes taking part in the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2012. It soon became a National project as lots of creative types, children and adults alike made pennants to help reach the target of 14,000 pennants needed to give one to each competing athlete.
The pennants have been displayed and exhibited in a number of locations across the nation and at the games themselves leading up to the opening ceremony. The exhibitions have almost finished, with the final one currently running at The American Museum in in Bath until the end of this month. I’m really trying to find a day when I can go along and take a look but the school holidays are here so proving tricky.
17,000 pennants have been made to date and so the target has been exceeded. It has been a major project for all those involved taking many hours or organisation and preparation and I for have one enjoyed taking part in community project of such scale and only wonder now which athlete will go home with my pennant …….

I made mine from up cycled damask napkins which were hand dyed in reds and oranges and then torn into strips, crossed over and stitched in place with machine satin stitch. The colours were much more intense than in the photos, it’s the flash I think but it shows you what I did. I also printed a personal message on the reverse as a little inspiration.
If you want to read more on this project and see pictures of some athletes receiving their pennants then here’s the website link.

Website- http://www.quilts4london.org.uk
Blog- http://www.quilts4london.org.uk/blog.html


.




No comments:

Post a Comment